For my last OPAC blogging for this class, I chose to explore and examine the OPAC of Thomas J. Watson Library.
Thomas J. Watson Library: The Libraries of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's OPAC home page appears to have a simple design with easy-on-eye color scheme. What's interesting and catching my eye is the calendar on the right column. I do not recall seeing the library calendar on any other library sites. Although the calendar was conveniently located on the right column, it did not completely satisfy my expectation with that feature as the calendar does not provide any additional information except that it just is another reminder to the site visitor of how fast each day goes by. I liked the gradient of the light greenish color scheme.
In term of the library catalog, I didn't find it really user-friendly. Clicking databases A-Z, I was directed to another page with a long list of reference sites; E-Journals A-Z that require password and username was as frustrating as databases A-Z. Access and hours menu provides the information that partially gives me the gist of how this library might be working. The site states: "Registration with photo ID is required. All library users must check coats, bags larger than 9 x 12 x 3 inches and laptop cases before coming to use the library. The Watson library is a closed stack (non-browsing) and non-circulating collection developed primarily to art history. Requested books are paged for visitors and must be used in the library." I think this statement explains a lot about the library OPAC as well.
There's Ask-a-Librarian service and Interlibary Account. In the high hope of finding some easeness of search and browsing (?) the library collection materials, I clicked "Research" menu on the top row, which directed me to "How can I" site with tens of links that provide information how to find & learn. Clicking the very first "how can I" instruction, I was directed to the general instruction that informs me how to do advanced search & provenance search. At this point, I was feeling my frustration seething. I realized that I was just so spoiled by user-friendliness of the other library OPAC sites that grace me with convenient search, icons, hip feature that connects me to other users' tags.
To give the benefit of the doubt, I clicked "permanent collection Advanced Sesarch"...only to see the boolean search feature. I could feel my seething frustration popping into stopping.
Artist or Maker: "Enter a last name, full name, or partial name"...{and} Title of Work or Type of Object...{and}...you see how it goes.
I am not sure I am so spoiled by other OPACs or Watson library OPAC needs rethinking when it comes to their OPAC. It's so frustrating. Yes, that's the word that I learned afresh while exploring the Thomas J. Watson Library. I'm not sure this site will attract many users except serious-minded researchers.
http://libmma.org/portal/how-can-i-learn-about-a-work-in-the-museums-collection/
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment