
Honestly I'm surprised no one from the class has blogged about this yet, since I find the whole thing intriguing. AnswerPoint.org is not, as it would first appear, some kind of third party reference system for libraries, or a non-profit dedicated to uploading the entirety of the world's reference materials. Instead, it's actually just ONE reference library, or rather, it's the reference section of the Central Rappahannock Regional Library, which has a general fondness for naming all of their affiliate websites "SomethingorotherPoint." As such, it's actually just the online reference section of a regional (Northern Virginia) library consortium. Or more accurately, it's the online reference section, community events board, teachers reference, and tax advisory. It has a series of staff written articles on diverse topics ranging from poet laureates to Film Noir to commuter
rail. It has a book review section, where users can review books and other media, similar to Amazon.com. And it has a 24/7 Ask a Librarian feature, which subscribes in it's off hours to QuestionPoint.org, which despite it's name is not actually a direct affiliate of CRRL, but rather an international non-profit reference service.What interests me though, is the idea behind it all. In a day and age when there is increasing buzz in the popular media about the availability of information on the web rendering traditional reference services obsolete, it's fascinating to see a response to criticism. I love the accessibility implied by the layout and the rating system for books (which operates on a 5 star method exactly like Amazon). I also love seeing the implementation of several services I associate with academic libraries in a public context, most notably the ask a librarian feature, with the addition of the after hours non-profit feature, something educational institutions might want to look into. Ultimately this is the vision I have for the future of library reference, and for the internet presence of library services in general.
No comments:
Post a Comment